Pages

What's on your screen?

Sunday 11 May 2014
It’s the train journey between London and Manchester, and passengers are looking at e-readers, laptops, smartphones or tablets. Nadia Khomami and photographer Antonio Olmos ask what they are doing to pass the time – and how technology is changing travel
Donna Hough, 30, merchandiser in fashion
Donna Hough30 
Fashion merchandiser
Watching MasterChef on BBC iPlayer 
I use iPlayer because I can download from it at home and then watch it when I’m travelling. I like MasterChef; I don’t watch it religiously but it’s one of those easy things that you don’t have to follow and it doesn’t require too much thinking. Plus I quite like food. I do this journey once every couple of months to visit my parents. I try and always have my iPad to watch something or listen to music. Before I had it I used to sleep most of the time or read magazines, so the way I entertain myself has definitely changed. It’s more on the go; if there’s something I’ve seen advertised that I’ve missed, I’ll catch up on it
Mike O’Hara
Mike O’Hara, 52 
Marketing consultant.
Reading The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Levelby Gay Hendricks. 
"I’m reading this self-help book. My wife is an achievement and confidence coach and she has lots of these books that she recommends for me. I have them here on my iPad. There’s a brilliant book about mindfulness and another called The Charge. I do this journey about once every two months so reading is a good way of making use of my time."
Ryan Csadorda
Ryan Csadorda, 11 
Student.
Watching YouTube.
"I’m watching YouTube videos of people I subscribe to on my iPad. They’re usually videos of people playing the Fifa video game. They film themselves doing it. Friends told me about it and I’m a big football fan, so I find it interesting. I play the game myself but I like watching other people play it as well. Before I had an iPad I just sat there"
Nassima Bouchenak, 21
Nassima Bouchenak, 21 
Studying for a masters in publishing.
Reading the book Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris.
"I finished term and I wanted to read something light and it’s quite an easy book to read. It’s been made into a TV Show – True Blood – and I’m a fan of the series so I decided to read the book. The book is good but the series is better. If I’m going to read a really nice, pretty book, I’ll buy it, but if it isn’t I’ll read it on my Kindle. I use my Kindle while travelling because I’ve got a lot more options on it without having to carry lots of books"
Andy Knapp
Andy Knapp, 48 
Fireman.
Watching In the Flesh on BBC iPlayer. 
"I download stuff on to my iPad at home to watch on my journey. I work in London but I live in Chorley [in Lancashire] so I commute a lot. Right now, I’m watching a new series called In the Flesh. It’s about zombies. I came across it when I was browsing and I thought if you don’t like it then you can just delete it. Before I got the iPad, I used to sit and read a book or the paper or look out the window. I’ll sit and read a book at home or at work, but on the train it’s nice to catch up with TV"
Barbara Lowl
Barbara Lowi, 57 
Works on the student help desk at Middlesex University. 
Reading The One Plus One by JoJo Moyes. 
"I’ve played Scrabble on my iPad. I’ve also emailed my friends, been on Facebook, read a book and read press reviews for a play I’m going to see. I’m reading The One Plus One by JoJo Moyes for my book group. I do this journey often but this is the first time I’ve brought an iPad. Usually, I read a real book or I use my smartphone to go on the internet but I got an iPad for my birthday a month ago and this is the first time I’ve downloaded a book and I love it. You can have a library and it weighs next to nothing, plus it’s very easy to read"
Styliano Chrysostomou
Styliano Chrysostomou, 10 
Student.
Watching the film The Mask.
"It’s a long journey to Manchester and I’ve got my headphones so I wanted to watch something to pass the time and keep me company. The Mask is a really funny film and all my friends like it; it’s about this man who steals loads of money. When I’m on trains, I always either listen to music or watch films. I’m going to Manchester to see my cousins"
Deigles De Souza
Deigles De Souza, 30
Student.
Checking Instagram. 
"Facebook is now getting boring – people post anything. But Instagram is more selective so I check it often, especially on train journeys. It’s just pictures and videos, so you can’t get bored. If I didn’t have Instagram right now, I’d probably be taking a nap. I’m on the phone all the time; even before I go to bed, I’m under the duvet checking my phone. Before, I used to interact with friends or read a magazine or newspaper. Now I’m constantly scrolling"
Belle Kongplee
Belle Kongplee, 21 
Student.
Playing the game Heads Up .
"Me and my friends are playing Heads Up. It’s a version of the game where your friends stick a celebrity name on your forehead and you have to guess who it is. When you’re travelling with your friends it’s more fun to do something sociable like play a game. Now that we have iPhones, it means we don’t need to get a piece of paper and write things down. These days, when you’re travelling, you don’t see travelling as the activity in itself. If you’ve got internet on your phone it opens you up to a world of different things you can do"
Laura Brierley
Laura Brierley, 30 
Works in HR.
Playing the game Farm Heroes Saga .
"It’s from the company that made Candy Crush. Someone invited me to it on Facebook. If I’m travelling I always carry my iPad. I was reading my book but I’ve put that down to have a break. I do own a Kindle but I never read books on it – I like having the physical copy. I stare at screens all day, so when I’m reading a book I like to relax, away from a screen" 

No comments:

Post a Comment